become an counselor at curious jane!
The Counselor position is open to applicants ages 18-years and older and who are college students or who have completed high school by the start of camp.
Our counselors assist our classroom instructors. They help prepare for projects, work with the girls, and jump in wherever needed in the busy, busy camp day. The full description is listed below.
Dates vary by location, and preference is given to counselors who can commit to the full run of camp at their location (ranging from 4 to 6 weeks). However, we occasionally have ‘split session’ positions available.
We run project-based summer camps for girls ages 6 to 11. We build confidence through making things, and all our projects revolve around science + engineering + design.
Our sunny workspace is in Gowanus, Brooklyn, and in the summer, we run our camps at host schools in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Denver (and more to come).
The culture of Curious Jane is rooted in collaboration, creative problem solving, a desire to empower girls, continual improvement and personal accountability. And the heart of Curious Jane is our projects, they reflect all of these things, rolled up with our personality and a good dose of fun!
Curious Jane was founded in 2009 by Samantha to give her daughters, and all girls, a place to be creative and inventive in a fun, high-energy environment. It started as a camp, and has grown into so much more, but camp is still where it all stems from.
how camp works
- Girls attend for one or more weeks, and choose their favorite theme (or class) per week
- CJ Junior classes are for girls ages 5 to 7, and CJ classes are for girls ages 8 to 11
- In each class, we have a Lead Instructor, a Counselor, and sometimes a CIT
- The camp day runs 8:45am – 3:30pm, and the staff commitment is 8:15am – 4:15pm
- Each day is full and active! You can see a sample daily schedule on our website for more details
- Find the best location for you and check out the cool classes we offer at each
We build staff teams to work at each location. The On-Site Director leads the staff and oversees all aspects of the camp. Instructors teach a specific class (or classes). Counselors assist in the classroom with the Instructors. Volunteers and CITs help as needed.
Our small group here at CJ HQ conducts the interviews and hires the staff team for each location. Once summer starts, the On-Site Director becomes the leader and point-person for each staff team.
training & time commitment at camp
- Attend a one-hour Zoom (online) CJ Brand training – dates and times TBD.
- Two full days of on-site training, classroom set-up and project preparation (compensated).
- Daily camp hours of 8:15am – 4:15pm, Monday – Friday (plus a little flexibility… it’s camp!)
responsibilities & expectations
- Assist the lead instructor in class sizes of 6 – 10 girls
- Be familiar with, and prepared to help with, all projects for the class week. (Instructors are responsible for leading the projects.)
- Work with other counselors to lead the afternoon Collaborative Period for the campers
- Work with the rest of the staff to create and build a supportive and fun environment for the girls!
Curious Jane provides all curriculum a month prior to camp, and we provide all the supplies for these project plans. We want to set you up for success! But please know – Curious Jane is great because of the staff! Young girls have a chance to be around smart, engaged women who share their interests, encourage them, and show them new things.
qualifications & compensation
- Age 18+ and a college student / high school graduate (Counselor)
- Experience working with children; babysitting, at camp or any other creative or educational setting
- Good communication skills and openness to collaboration at all levels
- Counselors: $450-$550/week, based on previous years with Curious Jane or other relevant experience
more of the story
We’re a small group, based in Brooklyn, full of color, and passionate about what we do!
ready to apply?
We attract talented, exceptional young women to lead our programs. Think you might be a good fit?