become an counselor or jr. counselor at curious jane!
The Counselor position is open to applicants ages 18-years and older and who are college students or who have completed high school by the start of camp. The Jr. Counselor position is open to rising 11th and 12th grade girls who are at least 16-years-old by the start of camp. Jr. Counselors must also supply Working Papers (which can be obtained via most high school offices).
Both the Counselor and Jr. Counselor positions have similar responsibilities and commitments, and (for ease!) are referred to as counselors in the descriptions below.
Our counselors assist our classroom instructors. They help prepare for projects, work with the girls, and jump in wherever needed in the busy, busy camp day.
Counselors generally commit to the full run of camp at their location (ranging from 4 to 6 weeks). We occasionally have 2- to 3-week positions available as well.
NOTE: We are not currently accepting applications for Counselor / Jr. Counselor positions at Brooklyn locations due to the high number of candidates who have already applied. If positions become available, we will begin accepting applications again after April 15th.
We run project-based summer camps and we publish a maker magazine for girls ages 6 to 11. We build confidence through making things, and all our projects revolve around science + engineering + design.
Our sunny workspace is in Gowanus, Brooklyn – this is where we test projects, create the magazine, organize camp supplies, and conduct interviews. In the summer, we run our camps at host schools in Brooklyn, Manhattan, San Francisco, Denver (and more to come). Plus the magazine travels everywhere!
The culture of Curious Jane is rooted in collaboration, creative problem solving, a desire to empower girls, continual improvement and personal accountability. And the heart of Curious Jane is our projects, they reflect all of these things, rolled up with our personality and a good dose of fun!
Curious Jane was founded in 2009 by Samantha to give her daughters, and all girls, a place to be creative and inventive in a fun, high-energy environment. It started as a camp, and has grown into so much more, but camp is still where it all stems from.
how camp works
- Girls attend for one or more weeks, and choose their favorite theme (or class) per week
- CJ Junior classes are for girls ages 5 to 7, and CJ classes are for girls ages 8 to 11
- In each class, we have a Lead Instructor, a Counselor or Jr Counselor, and sometimes a CIT
- The camp day runs 8:45am – 3:30pm, and the staff commitment is 8:15am – 4:15pm
- Each day is full and active! You can see a sample daily schedule on our website for more details
- Find the best location for you and all of our classes here on our website
- OR download our hand-dandy PDF 2020 Camp-at-a-Glance for an easy-to-reference roster
We build staff teams to work at each location. The On-Site Director leads the staff and oversees all aspects of the camp. Instructors teach a specific class (or classes). Counselors and Jr. Counselors assist in the classroom with the Instructors. Volunteers and CITs help as needed.
Our small group here at CJ HQ conducts the interviews and hires the staff team for each location. Once summer starts, the On-Site Director becomes the leader and point-person for each staff team.
training & time commitment at camp
- Attend a one-hour Zoom (online) CJ Brand training – dates and times TBD.
- Two full days of on-site training, classroom set-up and project preparation (compensated). For camps oepning June 29th, trraining is June 27th & 28th. For camps opening July 6th, training is July 1st & 2nd. For camps opening July 13th, training is July 8th & 9th.
- Daily camp hours of 8:15am – 4:15pm, Monday – Friday (plus a little flexibility… it’s camp!)
counselor / jr. counselor responsibilities & expectations
- Assist the lead instructor in class sizes of 6 – 12 girls
- Be familiar with, and prepared to help with, all projects for the class week. (Instructors are responsible for leading the projects.)
- Work with other counselors to lead the afternoon Collaborative Period for the campers
- Work with the rest of the staff to create and build a supportive and fun environment for the girls!
Curious Jane provides all curriculum a month prior to camp, and we provide all the supplies for these project plans. We want to set you up for success! But please know – Curious Jane is great because of the staff! Young girls have a chance to be around smart, engaged women who share their interests, encourage them, and show them new things.
qualifications & compensation
- Age 18+ and a college student / high school graduate (Counselor)
- Age 16+ and entering 11th or 12th grades (Jr. Counselor)
- Experience working with children; babysitting, at camp or any other creative or educational setting
- Good communication skills and openness to collaboration at all levels
- Jr. Counselors: $300/week (for new Jr. Counselors); $350/week (for returning Jr. Counselors)
- Counselors: $400-$500/week, based on previous years with Curious Jane or other relevant experience
meet the makers
ready to apply?