the director position at curious jane camp
Directors lead the camp at each site. They are responsible managing the staff, working with the parents, communicating with the host venue, and ensuring that all campers are having a safe, learning, growing and superfun experience!
Directors must have experience leading a class, educational program, camp group or other similar program. They have both teaching and administrative experience, and a college or master’s level degree.
Camp size ranges from 20 to 60 girls per week, with 10 girls per class group. And length of program ranges from 2 to 4 weeks, depending on the location.
Please note: most of our Directors are returning members of the Curious Jane Community – they are staff who have been with us in previous summers as Instructors or other parts of our program. Occasionally, we have positions become available for new applicants, but spots are limited.
We run project-based summer camps for girls ages 6 to 11. We build confidence through making things, and all our projects revolve around science + engineering + design.
Our sunny workspace is in Gowanus, Brooklyn, and in the summer, we run our camps at host schools in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Denver (and more to come).
The culture of Curious Jane is rooted in collaboration, creative problem solving, a desire to empower girls, continual improvement and personal accountability. And the heart of Curious Jane is our projects, they reflect all of these things, rolled up with our personality and a good dose of fun!
Curious Jane was founded in 2009 by Samantha to give her daughters, and all girls, a place to be creative and inventive in a fun, high-energy environment. It started as a camp, and has grown into so much more, but camp is still where it all stems from.
how camp works
- Girls attend for one or more weeks, and choose their favorite theme (or class) per week
- CJ Junior classes are for girls ages 5 to 7, and CJ classes are for girls ages 8 to 11
- In each class, we have a Lead Instructor, a Counselor or Jr Counselor, and sometimes a CIT
- The camp day runs 8:45am – 3:30pm, and the staff commitment is 8:15am – 4:15pm
- Each day is full and active! You can see a sample daily schedule on our website for more details
- Find the best location for you and check out the cool classes offered at each location!
We build staff teams to work at each location. The On-Site Director leads the staff and oversees all aspects of the camp. Instructors teach a specific class (or classes). Counselors and Jr. Counselors assist in the classroom with the Instructors. Volunteers and CITs help as needed.
Our small group here at CJ HQ conducts the interviews and hires the staff team for each location. Once summer starts, the On-Site Director becomes the leader and point-person for each staff team.
training & time commitment at camp
- Directors are expected to commit a full week of preparation, prior to the opening of camp, and inclusive of leading the on-site staff training. We will provide more details upon application and hiring.
director responsibilities & expectations
- Running a Curious Jane Summer Program Top to Bottom!
- Managerial and Organizational Skill Set
- Strong People Skills
- High Energy and the ability to be adaptable and quick in a number of situations.
- Be fully familiar with all CJ curriculum, CJ core values, and the systems previously set up by CJHQ to help camp run smoothly.
- Working with a group of 20-60 girls and keeping an open line of communication with their parents and guardians.
- Leading a staff of 6-20 instructors and counselors
- Leading and supporting staff in creating and building a supportive and fun environment for the girls.
- Key Skills – punctuality, preparedness, classroom management, creativity, energy, and fun!
Curious Jane provides all curriculum a month prior to camp, and we provide all the supplies for these project plans *however* the invitation and expectation is that instructors bring their own ideas, interests and experiences to the class. Curious Jane is great because of the staff! Young girls have a chance to be around smart, engaged women who share their interests, encourage them, and show them new things.
qualifications & compensation
- College degree or higher (Master’s degree for greater consideration)
- Experience teaching and working with children; in a school, camp or other educational setting
- Experience at Curious Jane or running programs that are similar in nature to Curious Jane
- Strong communication skills and openness to collaboration at all levels
- Compensation based on past teaching experience, number of years with Curious Jane, and number of years as a director at a Curious Jane program
meet the makers
Who’s at CJ HQ? We’re a small group, based in Brooklyn, full of color, and passionate about what we do!
ready to apply?