become an instructor at curious jane camp!
Class size is generally 6 to 12 girls, and each class focuses on a particular ‘theme’ — for example, if an instructor teaches Kitchen Chemistry, she will work with the same group of girls over the course of the week, leading a super fun, project-packed week of activities that build on each other. Girls spend about 4 hours of each day in their class theme, and have breaks for outdoor play, lunch and snacks.
Instructors commit to the full run of camp at their location (ranging from 4 to 6 weeks).
We run project-based summer camps and we publish a maker magazine for girls ages 6 to 11. We build confidence through making things, and all our projects revolve around science + engineering + design.
Our sunny workspace is in Gowanus, Brooklyn – this is where we test projects, create the magazine, organize camp supplies, and conduct interviews. In the summer, we run our camps at host schools in Brooklyn, Manhattan, San Francisco, Denver (and more to come). Plus the magazine travels everywhere!
The culture of Curious Jane is rooted in collaboration, creative problem solving, a desire to empower girls, continual improvement and personal accountability. And the heart of Curious Jane is our projects, they reflect all of these things, rolled up with our personality and a good dose of fun!
Curious Jane was founded in 2009 by Samantha to give her daughters, and all girls, a place to be creative and inventive in a fun, high-energy environment. It started as a camp, and has grown into so much more, but camp is still where it all stems from.
how camp works
- Girls attend for one or more weeks, and choose their favorite theme (or class) per week
- CJ Junior classes are for girls ages 5 to 7, and CJ classes are for girls ages 8 to 11
- In each class, we have a Lead Instructor, a Counselor or Jr Counselor, and sometimes a CIT
- The camp day runs 8:45am – 3:30pm, and the staff commitment is 8:15am – 4:15pm
- Each day is full and active! You can see a sample daily schedule on our website for more details
- Find the best location for you and all of our classes here on our website
- OR download our hand-dandy PDF 2020 Camp-at-a-Glance for an easy-to-reference roster
We build staff teams to work at each location. The On-Site Director leads the staff and oversees all aspects of the camp. Instructors teach a specific class (or classes). Counselors and Jr. Counselors assist in the classroom with the Instructors. Volunteers and CITs help as needed.
Our small group here at CJ HQ conducts the interviews and hires the staff team for each location. Once summer starts, the On-Site Director becomes the leader and point-person for each staff team.
training & time commitment at camp
- Attend a one-hour Zoom (online) CJ Brand training – dates and times TBD.
- Two full days of on-site training, classroom set-up and project preparation (compensated). For camps oepning June 29th, trraining is June 27th & 28th. For camps opening July 6th, training is July 1st & 2nd. For camps opening July 13th, training is July 8th & 9th.
- Daily camp hours of 8:15am – 4:15pm, Monday – Friday (plus a little flexibility… it’s camp!)
instructor responsibilities & expectations
- Lead a class size of 6 to 12 girls, with the assistance of a Counselor or CIT, for a full day program
- Be fully familiar with the CJ curriculum prior to camp, and prepare examples of all projects
- Work with the rest of the staff to create and build a supportive and fun environment for the girls
- Key Skills – punctuality, preparedness, classroom management, creativity, energy, and fun!
Curious Jane provides all curriculum a month prior to camp, and we provide all the supplies for these project plans *however* the invitation and expectation is that instructors bring their own ideas, interests and experiences to the class. Curious Jane is great because of the staff! Young girls have a chance to be around smart, engaged women who share their interests, encourage them, and show them
qualifications & compensation
- • College degree or higher
- Experience teaching and working with children; in a school, camp or other educational setting
- Experience in the project-area or subject-area that you will be instructing for us
- Strong communication skills and openness to collaboration at all levels
- $600 – $850 per week, based on previous years with Curious Jane, and previous teaching experience.
meet the makers
ready to apply?